SECBE
CoTrain

Blog: CE Awards 2017: Integration & Collaborative Working (sponsored by Waterloo Air Products)

28 June 2017

Featured Finalist: Wessex Capacity Alliance

The challenge of upgrading the busiest rail terminus in the UK, Waterloo Station, presents an extremely demanding programme with immovable critical paths. AECOM, Colas Rail, Mott MacDonald and Skanska formed as a consortium to meet and overcome these challenges and then, under a bespoke Integrated Programme Alliance Agreement (IPAA), as a fully integrated alliance incorporating Network Rail – the Wessex Capacity Alliance (WCA).

To ensure that the attitude and behaviours of the supply chain mirrored the collaborative ethos of the WCA, they cascaded the assessment model that was used by Network Rail to procure the second tier of the supply chain. The model focused 75% of the contract award on a mixture of qualitative and commercial measures with the remaining 25% used to assess the collaborative behaviours of the subcontractor’s key operational personnel. BS11000 – the British Standard for Collaborative Business Relationships has been adopted to provide a framework for collaborative business relationships, and to help form and manage interactions with the supply chain for maximum benefit to all. The positive behaviours of supply chain partners observed in the assessment centre have been translated into value engineering benefits in excess of £20m to the project which has fundamentally impacted the affordability of the programme of works as a whole. WCA has proved that successful collaboration is about a shared vision and harnessing collective strengths, effort and resource to get the job done in a win-win environment.

Recent Blog Posts

CE Awards 2017: Sustainability (Sponsored by Temple)
29 June 2017
Featured Finalist: Willmott Dixon Cobham Webinar Initiative
Read More

CE Awards 2017:Health, Safety & Wellbeing (Sponsored by APS and CLOCS)
28 June 2017
Featured Finalist: 'Think Safe' and Wellbeing Initiatives (Clancydocwra)
Read More

CE Awards 2017: Integration & Collaborative Working (sponsored by Waterloo Air Products)
28 June 2017
Featured Finalist: Wessex Capacity Alliance
Read More